There are several verses found throughout the Bible that are good for leading group discussions.
While some biblical verses, lead to topics which may stir up controversy within the group, other verses, being less intense, aim to unify all members of the group.
Biblical verses on ‘faith’, ‘love’, and ‘healing’ are topics that can be easily facilitated- these topics engage responses from all group members. On the opposite end, topics like homosexuality, adultery, and abortion are not so easy to discuss- they may cause some members to withdraw from speaking up in the group, but nevertheless, they are very important topics.
Some good Bible verses for discussion on faith, love, and healing include:
- Matthew 21:21- “And Jesus answered them, Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and never doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ it will be done.” A verse like Matthew 21:21 can motivate individuals within the group to open up and discuss personal problems that they may be dealing with. For someone having a really tough time finding a job, this verse can be extremely encouraging- if they continue to have faith in God ‘nothing will be impossible’.
- On loving God, Mark 12:29- “Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. ‘Love’ the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind and with all your strength.”
- God’s love towards us, John 3:16- “For God so ‘loved’ the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”
- Love for one another, Ephesians 5:2- “And walk in ‘love’, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”
- Proverbs 4:22- “The word of God brings ‘healing’. For they are life to him who finds them, and healing to all his flesh.”
- Matthew 4:23- “And he went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and preaching the gospel of the kingdom and ‘healing’ every disease and every infirmity among the people.”
Biblical verses which address controversial topics like homosexuality, adultery, and abortion
are really great to discuss in a group, but also present challenges because they are open to individual interpretation.
- Matthew 19:18- He said to him, “Which?” And Jesus said, “You shall not kill, You shall not commit ‘adultery’, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness.”
- Romans 1:26-27- “For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another…”
Group leaders should choose good Bible verses that not only motivate all members to participate, but encourages them to grow stronger in their faith walk.